I went back the next evening to have a look at the mayapple and at first thought he had made some progress in breaking free. But then I realized it was a different leaf. I looked around a bit more and saw at least six leaves in the same situation. So... I decided to just set the first one free - knowing there would be others to watch as they tried to work it all out.
I think I may darken my painted and stitched leaf - to make that pale ring glow just a little more. I really like the way these mayapple leaves resemble huge green flowers.
This was a completely different leaf - looking a lot like a bloom.