Monday, September 26, 2011

Foundation

A week ago I took the boys to my parents' place. We spent some time in the creek there, the same creek I played in when I was little. My parents, my boys, my sister and her girls - all of us looking at the rocks. The creek bed was completely dry.

My sister found this fossil coral radiating out from its' base - still hidden in the limestone.

This one a gathering of broken bits of shells. I like the texture - and the mystery - trying to tell what each bit may have been.

This coral - the texture on this one preserved so well...

and this type of shell I have never found before, that day I saw 4 of them all in the same area. I believe it is a Loxoplocus gastropod.

All of these we believe are from the Ordovician Period. This period spanned approximately 505-438 million years ago.

6 comments:

  1. Wow!!! this is amazing. How lucky you are to have such a place for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just such a feeling looking at these photographs. i can't imagine what it must have felt like to stand there
    looking
    to touch them.
    your sons are the oh so lucky ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful. my friend finds them in the hardened into rock in the clay soil on his farm, when plowing, and hauls them home...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat photos, beautiful texture. I also really liked your previous post with the leaves piece.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, all. I love spending time in that creek bed and having a long slow look at these fossils. They are something so special to me.

    ReplyDelete