Friday, May 13, 2011

Flower Power

I've been spending some time here and there enjoying experiments in dyeing fabric using plants. I have been reading Eco Colour: Botanical Dyes for Beautiful Textiles by India Flint. My experimenting has been based on techniques in her book and the possibilities are endless.



I am inspired to find out so many plants in our own yard (and the neighbors' yards!) have the ability to yield color to cloth. Looking forward to the discoveries. Needing to work on my patience in this process, still daydreaming of what might happen if I can bear to let something soak more than a few days...

5 comments:

  1. beautiful, i'll say!!! what made
    that incredible blue?????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, grace! the blue and purple are from the neighbor's spent iris blooms. the flowers were actually deep purple and I think the blue happened because of the vinegar I added. the cloth in direct contact with the flowers made purple and the dye bath made a blueish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dreamy, smoky blue-purple moons are lovely. I was going to ask how, but now I've clicked on the comments I know! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful to have a field of neverending experiments. An experience of open space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Eva. Lots of experimenting - patience is still the hardest part in this for me..

    ReplyDelete