Friday, January 30, 2009

Free-Motion Stitching

While I was working on this the thread in my sewing machine got all out of whack and it took me forever to get it stitching right again. Then once it was working smoothly I just couldn't stop, and this is how it turned out...


This photo looks a bit more busy than it does in person - but still, maybe too much. Free-motion stitching is fun, maybe too fun. I have always said I didn't care for the look of it, but it was because I was never very good at it. Still not, and not quite sure how to use it. I always prefer the look of stitches done by hand, but if I am to get as many pieces done as I would like I will be using the machine more, then adding hand-stitched details. As for the machine free-motion stitching - I am learning the delicate balance of speed of the pedal and speed of the hand - it's still tricky for me - but loads of fun to practice. I am trying to make practice pieces into something useful, gifts maybe - and plan ahead as far as sizes, so these are large enough to make something. This one - the cherry branch? (about 12 " wide) - is destined to be a zippered bag I think...

0 comments:

Post a Comment